Tuesday, June 20, 2006

20 (+2)

I turned 20 two years ago. Yet in Japan there is a traditional ceremony that I technically should've done but did not because I was out of the country: that is, the Coming-of-Age ceremony (sei-jin shiki). Facilitated much by the local government (I think), on the second Monday of every January there are multiple venues--large concert halls, auditoriums, city gymnasiums--that are utilized for the congregation of 20 year-old men and women, dressed in traditional kimonos (for women) and hakamas (for men). Some may wear tuxedos and fancy dresses, but the true way to go is in costly traditional attire. The ceremony itself is known to be fairly boring, much like many graduation ceremonies of universities...a few speeches here and there of monotonous nature, followed by a formal drinking of rice wine at the end. In Japan the legal age to drink, smoke, drive (actually you can start driving in an N license at the age of 18, but full licenses come around 20) is 20, and by that age, unless you are in school, a full-time job is an expectation to say the least. Otherwise, shame is bestowed upon you and your family...no, not really, but kind of. Strange country (let's not get started on that).

Anyway, in a recent conversation with my mother, the idea came up that maybe I should get a photo shoot done to commemorate my coming-of-age, two years belated. No real need to go through the ceremony, per se, but a photo in nice expensive kimonos is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing unless I come to own my own kimono one day, and it would indeed be kind of fun to have a picture of me in such...well, clashing?...attire lying around. After that conversation I surfed around and found the following three kimonos appealing (they are from a website of a place that rents kimonos near my mom's apartment).
This one is my favorite (and actually, the least expensive of all three...yes, this is a major concern, as rentals are costly. This one is approximately $350 to rent for a day). Since this is a traditional ceremony, we might as well go fully traditional by using the basic colors of Japan: red, black, and white.





This is my second choice. When foreigners first came to Japan (1800s), they were astounded and allegedly mortified by the Japanese's use of clashing colours, as in this one. Blue with orange and red and yellow (rather than blue with light blue and green, or blue with purple or lilac). I think it's quite beautiful, and nowadays motifs like these are fairly common. Back then it was a blasphemy.



This one is the most expensive of them all...if it weren't for the sale they're having the original rental cost is about $1000. I like the more subtle blue base and and purple corners. All in all this actually looks the most....well, mature.

I just don't want any butterflies on my kimono, or any bugs (like fireflies and dragonflies) for that matter. But no butterflies. It's a coming-of-age ceremony and I don't want to look like I've reverted back 10 years. Or huuuuge flowers. Or too many flowers. Again, I'm 20 (+2), not 10. Or pink or pastel purple, or even ones that are really tacky looking. Perhaps it is a bit more difficult for you to understand what I mean by 'tacky' kimonos if you're not Japanese, but really, there are some horrid pictures out there that you wish you never saw. These people destroy the art of kimonos. Somehow. Anyway.

2 comments:

Emmy said...

I like the 2nd one, personally. Then the 3rd one, then the 1st. Nantonaku I think you would chou niau the deep blue. But I like the 2nd one better because it's got the contrasting colors to add that little something. The first one is a bit dark, no?

Anonymous said...

i like the second one, and the third - the second one's colours are gorgeous, it doesn't clash to me at all, they balance each other out so wonderfully. it's vibrant and alive, something someone young could wear - the third one is very beautiful but more... i don't know, standard, in terms of colours? but yeah, they're so so beautiful! and so expensive, sheesh if you do a photo shoot i'd love to see the pictures ;)

when i went to japan i got this craptastic dark green kimono from a used store - it's so junk, but i still like it :) nothing at all like those though. my yukata that a friend gave me is all flowers and stuf, against navy blue - prettypretty.