Friday, December 15, 2006

41st President of the United States

Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures. But as you can see from the photo, the Secret Service certainly didn't stop first graders to sneak (?) a shot via his camera-phone! The handful of people who were allowed to carry a camera on them into the Ricketson Theatre were mostly journalism-related, professionally or via the school (you can see more pictures if you follow this link). Every so often you can hear the ring-a-ling of kids' phones snapping a shot of their former President. Well, I didn't get photos but it doesn't change he fact that I was literally 2 feet away from a former leader of one of the most powerful countries in the world.

He spoke mainly of very broad topics in a humourous, approachable manner; of values and goals, motivations and aspirations--rightfully appropriate topics for a middle school crowd. The appx. 100 high school students and teachers' civil rights were trampled on by a declaration earlier in the week, which prohitibted us from asking questions or commenting on anything during the President's speech. Don't ask me why this was done, because I haven't a clue.

An old man, this former 41st President of the United States. I sat in the third row from the front, and observed that there were signs of age and years of experience in the way he talked, the way he stood, the way he gazed over his microphone, and especially in the way he would turn and look at his wife, the former First Lady, or, in the President's words, "the silver fox."

I never thought I would ever meet a former 'world leader'. In combination with Herbie Hancock from last week, I've had some unexpected events pop into my life this past month or so. I guess you could never tell what happens in life.

No comments: