Thursday, November 30, 2006

Names you wouldn't think of.

Last night, nine alumni came out to play the varsity boy's basketball team. They started the game down by 16--I later found out that the 16 points were not planned on; the OB's were just not used to the idea of playing basketball--but came out on top by 2 in the end.

It was a weird scene for me. Suddenly, I was 16, 17, 18, back in that gym, watching the same guys play basketball--not all at the same time, of course. I spoke with some of them afterwards, to say hello and ask how/what they were doing nowadays. Great to see you, Maybe I'll see you in London, Take care. I left the gym quickly afterwards with a peculiar feeling: it was as if I had revisited my past as someone else. They probably didn't even know who I was, just that I was a familiar face from a time during which they were unaware of most things to begin with. I hadn't thought of their names in at least 5 years (if not more), and then I watched them play basketball, and the funniest thing is, I will probably never see them again. Until, of course, one day, somehow, somewhere, we cross paths without knowing that any of it would happen. Moments like these make me think how small the world could be, and how life is really full of stuff that one fails to fathom and predict.

No comments: