Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 Commences.

At certain moments throughout 2007, I seriously doubted whether I would actually get through 2007 alive to see 1 January 2008. But I have, and that's a good thing. My yearly horoscope last year said that 2007 was going to be a great year for me, and it wasn't. This year, they predict that I'll be undergoing an internal transformation... we'll see about that.

As fireworks crackle through the cold and humid air of London this evening, I thought I would share a few resolutions, a few goals, and a 2008 Reading List that does not include the thousands of articles and books I'll have to read for course work. Not that anyone actually cares, but I didn't particularly have any desire to finish reading the 20-paged article tonight (alas, it is already 2:30 am) and I felt like procrastinating.

Resolutions
1. Stop procrastinating.
2a. Understand that not everyone holds the same morals as I do.
2b. Understand that not everyone has morals, period, and there's nothing to be done about it.
3. Recognize that I am actually appreciated in my entirety, the sensitive, intuitive, crazy nut-case that I may be.
4. Get back into a fitness schedule and "adjusting to life in London" is no excuse any longer.
5. Stop doubting life. It just happens, in all of its qwerkiness and hypocrisy.

Goals
1. Find a job to last me through another year of London.
2. Finish my thesis before May.
3. Visit Vancouver.
4. Understand economics.
5. Eat more veggies.
6. Stop eating wheat.
7. Figure out if I'm actually allergic to alcohol.
8. Expand my cooking repertoire.
9. Expand my baking repertoire.
10. Be reasonably able to speak French, but keep the Italian.

2008 Reading List
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (TBF)
The Satanic Verses - Salaman Rushdie (TBF)
Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson
Blake - Peter Ackroyd
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz - Mordecai Richler
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
On Beauty - Zadie Smith
History of Love - Nicole Krauss
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
The Bastard of Istanbul - Elif Shafak

No comments: