Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hong Kong!

For the second time in my life, I went to Hong Kong. This time I was a chaperone for the high school choir who was participating in a choir festival there. The rehearsals were long, and I think it was a bit too much for the kids, but they probably learned a lot seeing how they sang Bach's B minor mass--a hard piece for their age. They also sang a piece commissioned by the hosting school who was celebrating their 40th anniversary. As such the school threw some big money into the occassion, and the kids got to perform their concert in the city hall. That was pretty cool.

All in all the week was a bit too sacred in character for me, and I reckon that I could raise hell for the rest of the week and still be eligible for heaven.

Bought a couple things at the night market, which is always fun. I was introduced to new orgasmic dessert there called "Mini Mango Delights" which consists of fresh mango puree, mango ice cream, and chunks of Phillipine mango on top. So good--they must've existed when I was there last winter, but no one was there to inform me about it! If you ever go to Hong Kong, try it.

Also met up with a former elementary school counselor of mine. That was pretty cool. I hadn't seen him and his wife for about a decade, and they were always people we wondered about as alumni of the school. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture with them but here are some pictures from the trip:
> From HKIS on a sunny day!

> Stanley market. I had lunch (alone) in a local restaurant at the far end.

> Past curfew @ the night market. Oops.

> No friendly conversations with the bus drivers here!

> Concert in Hong Kong City Hall (remember this, UBC Wind Symphys?).

No comments: